freetds - Re: [freetds] problems configuring..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Harvey <pharvey AT codebydesign.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] problems configuring..
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:41:47 -0800

You can use 'odbcinst' to merge that with /etc/odbcinst.ini, but I find odbcinst really cumbersome and poorly documented. I would edit the file directly.

1. You want to ensure that you have only one ODBC sub-system installed. So, assuming you want to use unixODBC, something like...

# find / -name "*iodbc*"

...should not return any files.

2. Typically; binary rpm installs go to /usr while source installs go to /usr/local. So its possible that once can have two versions of the ODBC susb-system installed. This is not good. For example; you should not have isql and odbcinst commands in /usr/bin AND /usr/local/bin. One of them should be removed. In such a case removing the binary install would probably be easiest because yu can use a single rpm command to do this.

3. The location of your odbc.ini/odbcinst.ini files can be configured a number of ways. For example; you have the default, the locations configured in the source build, the locations configured in a binary install, and what environment variables may say. This is why I recommend using ODBCConfig or even odbcinst when editing the odbc.ini/odbcinst.ini files. Assuming a proper install - these tools will use the proper locations/files. If you really want to edit the files by hand I would recommend that you use the odbcinst command-line tools to tell you where the location/files are expected.

NOTE: The odbcinst command-line tool was originally created to test the odbcinst library and was an excuse to create a tool for those interested in creating install scripts for drivers. ODBCConfig is really the way to go for most Users.

Peter