freetds - Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:02:36 -0500

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:36:02 -0500, Jon Pounder <JonP AT inline.net> wrote:

> oledb was only the MS flavour of the week for a short time and got
> replaced with ADO.
> Both just adding extra layers of useless overhead onto something that
> was not broken to start with.

Well, we're a little OT here, but fwiw I don't think that characterization
is accurate. Not that I'm a fan of any of these technologies.

First, no, ADO didn't "replace" OleDB in any sense. ADO uses OleDB
servers. I know: I wrote an OleDB provider that was used via ADO by VB
applications.

Second, I'm not sure what "extra" layer OleDB added. It's an abstraction
of a data-providing resource. It conceals the resource's (possibly
non-tabular) data store, and describes a protocol for accessing it. From
the point of view of SQL Server, it's an interface to a backend. From the
point of view of a client application, it's an alternative client
library.

Hmm. Maybe I should write something up for the www site, under
"Entertainment" or something, called "ODBC Considered Harmful". It would
save us both time, eh? :-)

--jkl