freetds - Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:01:32 -0500

At 5:43 PM -0500 2/6/2003, Jon Pounder wrote:
opayc is not a problem since we control the sql syntax on both sides of the fence - try to make common sql syntax with mysql and access thrown into the mix - odbc common features is a piece of cake by comparison.

While not easy, it is possible. My application is a generic database query tool for Mac OS X, and I'm dynamically generating SQL for different features based on what the database supports. It is much easier using the native libraries, but it is possible with ODBC. The main problem I'm running into is that most of the drivers have zero support for the features I need to do this (particularly the openlink ones).

So it is possible via the ODBC spec, but few people do it and as a result few drivers offer the required functionality. I'd imagine this isn't the case with MS drivers, since they consider ODBC a primary API. (And I'm talking level 1 and a few level 2 features here, nothing that should really be that obscure.)

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin