freetds - Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: christopher baus <christopher AT baus.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Win32 - ODBC Not OLEDB ?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:15:32 -0800

>linking directly to a db lib is a very shortsighted approach since you are
>locked into that one database forever with an application.

Ok linked via DLL or .so. The application does get re-released. If new
database support is needed a release is pretty much a requirement right now.
I work with a product that has all drawbacks of ODBC/ADO and none of the
benefits (ie database independence). Wasn't my decision, but that's why I
continue to subscribe to this list, as I would rather just link the freetds
lib. I would like to know an example where ODBC database independence was
something other than a pipe dream.

Right now using Microsoft's client tools, our database access is a bloated
mess of unpredictable threading behaviors.

christopher