freetds - RE: [freetds] Preparing 0.61

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Preparing 0.61
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:15:23 -0000

Thanks James,

I'm sure we all appreciate the efforts you put in on the releases.

I can understand the sentiments behind making the release at this time.
There hasn't been too much major change recently, and I certainly regard the
latest snapshot as being stable and well tested already.

A couple of things though.

1) I have recently finished some enhancements to the bcp functionality, and
these are ready to submit to you. I've added support for text/image columns
on SQL server (both in and out), made some small performance enhancements,
and also added more flesh to the "error file" handling on freebcp. I doubt
anyone's really desperate for these enhancements, but they are "nice to
haves". The code changes are non-intrusive on the rest of the code, so I am
pretty confident they would not disrupt an orderly release of 0.61 if anyone
wants them included. If you want them, just shout.

2) Yes, you are about to be bombarded with ct-lib enhancements. I'm working
on:

a) text/image type handling. I've finished ct_get_data() and ct_data_info(),
I'm working on ct_send_data(). Should be finished this week.

b) server-side cursor support (ct_cursor()). I'm busy writing a
specification for this work at the moment, and hope to get it kicked off
next week.

c) rpc calls - migrating Freddy's good work into ct-library - will include
beefed up ct_param() and ct_setparam()

and after that, I'm planning for array binding and ct_diag() support.

Of course, some of this is likely to be quite intrusive on the core code, so
I wouldn't want it to go into 0.61. However, I would like it to be included
in an official release as soon as it is stable. So I guess I'm asking us to
look ahead to 0.62 in the not too distant...

best wishes all,

Bill