freetds - RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:30:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Castellano, Nicholas wrote:

> I think we should just scrap src/dblib/unittests/t0022.c. It seems
> to be the general consensus that this is obsolete functionality and
> just isn't useful behavior anyway. This test is a pain for other
> reasons (it requires permission to create procedures, which makes it
> fail on many non-privileged setups where it might otherwise
> succeed). This means that the test fails in the example
> configuration with Sybase's JDBC server, which I find to be an
> annoyance.
>
> Any objections to removing the test?

I seriously doubt that you'll find any consensus that output parameters
are "obsolete functionality." I think you'd have a better chance of
arguing that the approach used by test t0022 to get to the value of the
output parameter was somewhat roundabout, but that's not the same thing
as claiming that output parameters from stored procedures are useless.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com