freetds - RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:20:22 -0500

Bruce,

Thanks for the research. That coincides with Marketing stuff I heard at a
Microsoft presentation a few years ago, when they said that SQL Server 7.0
used ODBC as the "native protocol". And I think somewhere in the docs it
says BCP uses ODBC. Which explains why bcp works for all tables and all
datatypes (and why it doesn't connect to Sybase servers).

Of course, the unclarity is intentional. Microsoft's strategy is to own the
APIs; they make no bones about that. So they add features to the API they
want you to use, and let the old one (the one compatible with Sybase) wither
on the vine. (No special evil; Sybase does the same). But it's very hard,
even reading their technical literature -- and that is where I fault them --
to distinguish between db-lib/ODBC and 4.2/7.0 issues. They're *not* the
same, and if a graybeard like me can't divine what protocol, and thus what
limitations, db-lib is using, how are other competent people supposed to
make an intelligent choice.

If Steve Balmer would require the technical documents to be clear and
truthful, instead of reformulated marketing glossies in another guise, he
would start a revolution. Or impede the coming one.

Regards,

--jkl