freetds - RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:21:45 +0100

> The upshot of this is that we'll have to implement the RPC
> message stream,
> if we want to capture return parameters from stored
> procedures in TDS 7 or
> 8.
>
> I can help with the specifics of the TDS 7 RPC message
> protocol if anyone
> wants to get stuck in.

Not so difficult. See in query.c how to send an RPC using TDS7+.
All the code is there. See tds_submit_execute, inside IS_TDS7_PLUS if. Some
lack for output parameters specification but other stuff are all present.

My roadmap for dynamic stuff is
- libtds. Add TDS5_PARAMS support and enable it in capability by default
- ODBC. Support parameters of all types (not only varchar!!)
- query. Add emulated prepare from ODBC code
- (perhaps, future) reenable code for direct binding in libtds
(I hope to be ready with first two point before Xmas..)

Direct RPC call is not difficult (the code for TDS7 should work for TDS5
with small changes)

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."