freetds - Re: CygWin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Castellano, Nicholas" <Nicholas_Castellano AT acml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CygWin
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:52:17 -0400

I have plenty of hostility, but most of it is reserved for Bill Gates :-)

I'm just trying to figure out why Sven was asking us to keep cygwin
support...when I thought I had just added it. I can't imagine why I would
add support for something and then suddenly remove it (as I thought he was
implying somebody might do intentionally). No hostility was intentionally
directed at Sven, I'm just genuinely confused and perhaps a little disturbed
by his question.

We produce...something...on cygwin. It does claim at configure time that
it's capable of generating shared objects, and that it will do so. It does
install some ".dll.a" files in /usr/local/lib and some ".dll" files in
/usr/local/bin [sic]. Whether these bear any relation to real windows DLLs
or not, I don't know. Some windows-inclined person will need to investigate
further.

I'm not sure whether Cygwin is a good thing. I do have it installed on my
Windows machine, because as you noted, it can be of practical value. I just
don't always think being practical is all that important. Anything that
might encourage someone to treat Windows as if it were a real operating
system is certainly going to be suspect in my eyes (I'd better not follow
this line of thought any further, or I might just remove cygwin support from
FreeTDS just as Sven feared :-)

So, I'm just not sure the dog has any legs at all. But anything that
improves FreeTDS portability is a good thing, and this experiment certainly
turned up a number of interesting problems.

As an aside, I have never personally asked rms what he thinks about Cygwin,
but I'm willing to stick my neck out and guess that he thinks it's the worst
thing that ever happened to the GNU project. Not because he doesn't like
Windows in particular, but because he doesn't like *any* proprietary
software. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html and I'm sure
you'll see my point.

Cheers,
--nick