freetds - Re: UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: camber AT ais.org
  • Subject: Re: UG clarification
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:55:18 -0400

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:45:05 -0400 (EDT), "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
wrote:

> Excuse me while I resurect this thread. jkl, I went out on your site to
>
> look at your work in progress, but I'm getting some errors on certain
> tags (corpname for one) did you upgrade versions without telling me? ;-)
> I have:
>
> [bdog@blaptop bdog]$ jade -v
> jade:I: OpenJade version "1.3"
> jade:I: OpenSP version "1.3.4"

I have:

jade -v
jade:I: Jade version "1.2.1"
jade:I: SP version "1.3.4"

which is probably a bit more dated. Do you think that's why your HTML
output comes out nicer than mine?

It won't build right now, Brian. I've been hacking through, setting tags
the way I think they should be, and looking at it in text mode (see
http://www.SchemaMania.org/freetds/cvs/freetds/doc/ug2txt). I figured I'd
go over it massively, then deal with the technical issues.

The big technical change is the one I threatened :) a while back: to bring
it up to DocBook 4.2. I haven't updated the DTD spec at the top of the
document; that's why it won't build. <corpname> and <systemitem
class="library"> aren't in docbook 3.x.

I want to write a UCS-2 discussion as an appendix. Now that the patches
are all in (famous last words), I think I just need an evening or two for
that. That's the last major bit of text. There are a couple of minor
ones that we still need that I come to mind right away: a manpage for tsql
and a UG section for locales.

If you'd like me to commit a working (or non-working) version, I can focus
on the jade issues first. Another way to go about it would be to grab my
version yourself, update the DTD and fix the technical errors, and commit.
I could incorporate your updates while I work on the appendix.

Realistically, given my time constraints, I don't expect to be able to
render HTML before next Friday.