freetds - Re: --- How to install FREETDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <palardyn AT mac.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: --- How to install FREETDS
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:29:14 -0600

On Thursday, October 18, 2001, at 12:43 AM, James Cameron wrote:

Where the heck the user guide was as neither the README nor INSTALL tell
you where it is, and only a fairly thorough read through the FAQS will
tell you where it is.

No, it is also a news item on the main page of http://freetds.org/ ...
the second item. Easy to miss; maybe we need a 'Documentation' icon
down the left hand side of the page. Maybe we also need a link to it
from the 'Download' page as you said. (I'm not sure who has
responsibility for the web site yet, I'm still learning.)

News ? .... not sure why I would look there
Come to think of it I didn't because it didn't make sense

MAC OS X

I'm afraid I cannot help with that platform. Perhaps it is represented
on the SourceForge compile farm. If so, maybe I could do a build and
document it.

They just added them

Servers are on a variety of DEC Alpha's, [...]

Although I can help with them. ;-)

4100's 8200's ... and I think we've got ES 40's

Personally, I think the best way to package this is to look at it from
the end consumers point of view.

FreeTDS is a software integration product for use by software
engineers. It is packaged in binary for Red Hat Linux and Debian
GNU/Linux systems, among others, and so can be transparently loaded onto
the end consumers system in order to satisfy library dependencies. So
far, I'm happy with the packaging, though I can see it can be improved.

Integration yes.
But, being the "integrator" I still don't need or want to have to rebuild it
I guess I'd like to see it as simple as Sybase or Oracle's installs which are binary only (for other reasons) but that when installed are ready to roll (except maybe seting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or some other environment variable)

I suspect your main issue is the rare platform (for which we have not
made binary packages), and the other issue is the learning curve. ;-)

Rare maybe.
But, the beginning of this thread was actually someone else who also was looking for clearer installation / setup instructions.