freetds - Re: --- How to install FREETDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Harvey <pharvey AT codebydesign.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: --- How to install FREETDS
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:23:18 -0700

> Personally, I think the best way to package this is to look at it from
> the end consumers point of view.
> The person who, like me, really wants to use it (and is perhaps willing
> to pay for the privilege to do so) and perhaps doesn't want to recompile
> it.
> I suspect that a huge number of current users already have binaries
> that, packaged properly, could be redistributed at that level

Yes, binary distros are great for the end-user. However; it elevates the
amount of work on the people who support and contribute to the project. I
would have to take a closer look at FreeTDS but the more dependencies the
worse things can get. Sometimes a binary will fail just because the
destination machine does not have the exact version of some pretty basic libs
(i.e. those that come with gcc) even though the functionality may be the same
in those libs. Again; I am not sure how big a deal it would be in this case
but many people, and many projects, commonly go out as source... it usually
offers the lowest risk of problems.

Having said that... I agree... it would be great to have binary distros...
now would that be for OSX 10.0 or 10.1 <g>

Sounds like you may now have a binary, for the OSX, to offer.

Peter