freetds - Re: --- How to install FREETDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: --- How to install FREETDS
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:30:01 -0400 (EDT)

Well, FreeTDS is nothing special in this regard, however, assuming
/usr/local is in its default ownership of root.root then yes you will need
root when installing anything to /usr/local including freetds.

Your setup is particularly wise, and freetds would installable by a
privileged (but not root) user just fine.

The pointed out failing of FreeTDS not installing w/o root is not a
freetds thing but a unix/linux thing. It really has nothing to do with
FreeTDS.

However, most rpms install in /usr not /usr/local so this doesn't help
there.

Brian