freetds - Re: --- How to install FREETDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <palardyn AT mac.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: --- How to install FREETDS
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:07:10 -0600

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 10:37 PM, Brian Bruns wrote:

I've been working on FreeTDS for around 4 years now. It's a nights and
weekends project, I don't get paid anything for doing it. I also enjoy
talking to people on the list and trying to help those that can't seem to
get it to work. But, again, it's something I do in my spare time, and
right now I'm working a whole lot in my day job since they thought it was
a good idea to cut a bunch of people this spring, and working a whole lot
for a paying client of my side business. Top that all off with a family,
and I don't have a whole lot of time these days for this stuff. So, I'm
not going to feel guilty because someone can't get it working and that is
somehow my fault for not having enough documentation, or not enough time
to respond on the list, or because there are major bugs in 0.52 and I just
don't have time to wrap up 0.53.

Somedays, I'm really sick of this whole damn project, and this is one of
them.

For a nights and weekends project this is a lot of pretty amazing work.
Reverse engineering something this significant is no small task and you should be commended for having taken the task on, much less getting it to the state it is.