freetds - Re: --- How to install FREETDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <palardyn AT mac.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: --- How to install FREETDS
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:46:31 -0600

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 10:12 PM, James Cameron wrote:

G'day Norman,

I agree with all of your points. It is too difficult and needs to be
packaged in binary format. Let's work to improve the situation.

I'd really like this.

Norman Palardy wrote:
configure has how many options ?

It has five package specific options that I can see, the rest are
standard options that prior users of autoconf will recognise. ;-(

Not being a "prior user" it has options that I dont recognize. Probably part of the confusion for me

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x126.htm#AEN145 describes these
configuration options quite thoroughly. (Well done Brian and James).
I have to admit that the user guide is quite well hidden ;-)
Burying it in the FAQ's made it more difficult than it needs to be.
It's quite central to the distribution and use; why not make it part of it or at least something that points right at it from the download page saying "Now that you've downloaded things here's the guide for it"

I've seen people mention that the sources from the CVS repository should
be used. That's fine, and I would, if I had some idea where this was or
how to get them out of CVS.

This was recently posted to the mailing list. It is also section 5.1 in
the FAQ. http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#51

Actually I did see that.

If you've never used CVS before, you may find it difficult. Install CVS
on your system, then follow the instructions for Anonymous CVS Access on
SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=33106

CVS is preinstalled on this machine as part of the basic OS install
I will try that as I have seen others mention that the CVS sources gave them a version that worked where the distribution on the web site did not

Perform a 'cvs checkout' against the freetds module. This will create a
directory freetds in your current directory. Build from that
directory. When you want to adopt changes made to CVS later, perform a
'cvs update'. This will propogate just the changes to the files, quite
efficiently. Then you build again.

make?
Even after configuring things I try and compile any of the unittests doe
the dblib portion and they don't make. Some libs simply don't exist that
these are being linked against

Can you be more specific?
Depended on the options I used for configure as to which library was trying to be linked against that simply wasn't present

I was able to build from the current CVS copy just then, but 'make
check' failed on each test. I suspect a network problem accessing the
test database server on the internet.
Make check failed for me on all tests as well.
I know the server was available because I immediately ran my java programs and logged in to it.

Perhaps you should skip the unit tests. I never used them, and things
always worked fine for me.

I think I will

make install
Usually I end up having to su to root before this has any hope of
working and that is not mentioned in any of the install guides that I
have seen or read that are part of the distribution at
http://www.freetds.org/download.html

Well, yes, you are right. We're assuming too much knowledge. Some of
it is in the INSTALL file in the source kit, some is in the user guide.
I've adjusted the user guide in CVS.

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x126.htm#AEN145

Documentation ? The download includes documentation. Right
It includes a README that doesn't say enough about building the install
to make it useful.

README points at INSTALL, which does seem useful. I think it should say
it sooner. I've adjusted README and INSTALL now in CVS. Hope Brian
doesn't have a heart attack.

Fair. I'll reread them. I'm looking at this from the point of view of someone who simply wants a binary to download install an use.

The doc files are in SGML. And no mention of what I might use to read it
or what might be useful.

An SGML reader? On Debian GNU/Linux there are 61 packages that mention
SGML. The HTML format might be useful to you, and it is on the web, URL
as above. We don't ship the HTML with the source kit.

Sorry; but this is not Linux I'm running and I doubt I'm going to go try and grab an SGML reader and recompile that so I can read the doc.
Maybe, but unlikely.

Now that I know where the HTML one is I will use that.

Brian/James: do you think we should ship the HTML output with the source
kit? I was always under the impression that only source should be
shipped in a source kit and the customer is expected to use 'make' to
build it, thus placing a build dependency on an SGML to HTML converter.
I guess configure will need to find a suitable converter?

I've even said on this list I'd pay for it if I could just GET a binary
that would install and work. I haven't seen one offered up yet.
AND THE OFFER STILL STANDS.

Remind me, what platform do you want the binary for?
Perhaps I can help.

Mac OS X 10.1