freetds - Re: Status of the JDBC driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Status of the JDBC driver
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:14:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 Jun 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I guess at least Bob Kline should have a good understanding of [the
> driver's internals] and I'm getting closer.

> 1b. add TDS 7.0 support including NCHAR and friends as well as
> CHAR/BINARY columns with more than 255 characters. This part is more
> or less ready - Bob Kline has implemented most of it already.

I think I better jump in and calibrate expectations based on Stefan's
perhaps overly generous descriptions of what I've been working on. I do
have tentative implementations for at least some of the functionality I
need for my own purposes, but I haven't reviewed all of Craig's code or
systematically determined what is needed for full TDS 7.0 support (a
little challenging without the 7.0 spec), nor have I tested what I've
done on all the possible platforms (I've focused primarily on TDS 7.0
and JDK1.2/3 on Linux). I am fairly confident, however, that we will be
able to get there collaboratively, especially with enthusiastic
participation from folks like Stefan, who has been very helpful in
testing what I've thrown together and finding and fixing some of my
bugs, as well as dealing very graciously with the awkwardness of
communicating code modifications without benefit of access to the code
respository.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com