freetds - Re: Status of the JDBC driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Status of the JDBC driver
  • Date: 14 Jun 2000 17:58:15 +0200

CS> Stefan Bodewig writes:

>> works on Linux as well as on Linux

looks interesting.

What I wanted to say was "Linux as well as on Windows", but you knew
that.

CS> I've considered Ant, but I don't really like the idea of having
CS> to bundle another application with the driver.

I understand - I've not thought about bundling Ant either. I think we
are dealing with at least two types of users.

Those who only want to use the JDBC driver will probably prefer a
binary snapshot - a JAR file containing the JDBC 1.0 and the 2.0
classes - over sources anyway. Some of them might not even have make
installed but this may be a small minority.

Those who really want to look at the sources should consider
themselves serious Java developers and have Ant installed anyway - do
I need a smiley here?

The point I wanted to make is that you shouldn't consider messy
Makefiles a bug of the driver but the result of two more or less
incompatible tools, Java and make. And the only "bugfix" I could offer
would be to switch to another build tool.

Stefan