freetds - Re: 0.46pre2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 0.46pre2
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:06:27 -0400 (EDT)

Think I could get some nice Linux company to donate a PPC box for endian
testing and an Alpha for 64bit-ness? ;)

Seriously, I'll have to see if I can steal some cycles at work and compile
on the Power boxes. It's AIX, but it should be close enough. Fortunately,
I'm on vacation for the next week (Yah!).

Being an old 68k person, I have a fondness for big-endian machines, but I
just don't own the hardware anymore. I'll see if I can't find out what's
wrong with the detection. The floats and other stuff are going to be hard
to debug remotely though.

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Paul Schaap wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I successfully compiled 0.46pre2 freetds version 4.2 against MS SQL 7 even
> after hacking configure, configure.in, src/tds/login.c, src/tds/numeric.c,
> src/tds/read.c to force BIG endianess upon everything for my PowerPC linux
> and it 'mostly' works. It still doesnt like floats much and only returns
> integers, and sometimes fields dissappear and/or return garbage in a random
> fashion.
Can you post on sample queries that you're having problems with? I want to
verify that it's endian related, and to have something to start with on
the AIX boxes. BTW, what are you using to query with? straight cb/ctlib,
sybperl, php?

> <BEG TYPE=GROVEL>Could you please spend some time on Endianess for us BIG
> second cousins</BEG>. If you cannot I will come up with a patch,
> eventually, but as I have had no experience or training in C this may take
> years :-(
>
> REGARDS
> Paul Schaap

Cheers,