fingerlakespermaculture - Re: permaculture of the ditch

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl AT simonstl.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: permaculture of the ditch
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:20:04 -0400

On 8/11/10 8:38 PM, Stephanie Colombo wrote:
It might be worth checking out other varieties of impatiens. Jewelweed
is a common native plant of the upstate ny region and its essential oil
is amazing as a remedy for poison ivy.

I have Touch-Me-Nots, which I'm pretty sure are Jewelweed. The road area is one of the few places they haven't tried to colonize, but I can certainly encourage them to try. They're also nicely easy to pull if they get out of control. (I fell backwards when I blindly grabbed to pull what I thought was a goldenrod but turned out to be a Touch-Me-Not.)

The Himalayan Balsam
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Balsam> , though not native, is
beautiful and is one of the remedies of Bach's flower remedies
<http://www.bachflower.com/> for those of a high strung nature.

Exploding seed pods are always fun, and might give some extra pedestrian interest.

Thanks!

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/