fingerlakespermaculture - RE: permaculture of the ditch

  • From: Green Singer <greenmansinger AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: permaculture of the ditch
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:19:06 -0400

Simon,

I didn't realize there were other folks on the list from Varna--hi!  I live on Freese Rd., next to the 'abandoned' blue house next to the slag heap on the corner. I've noticed a large amount of coltsfoot doing well under the situation you described, as well as daylilies.  If you've already got elder, you probably have a fair amount of water, and so irises and Joe Pye weed should do well, along with other shady/swampy plants. With a little forethought, you could probably have the area flowering year-round.  Are there any other functions you'd like to fill with the space (privacy/noise screen, wildlife/animal fodder, discouraging litter with sharp pointy things, etc.)?

Cheers,
~Marvin