fingerlakespermaculture - Re: permaculture of the ditch

  • From: Christopher Healy <gulftangofox AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: permaculture of the ditch
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:58:23 -0400

Hiya:  Used to work for DOT several years ago.  Generally herbicides are rarely used anymore.  It got to be too expensive.  Of course every county is a resident engineer's war lord district.  But things are slowly changing.  The last time I saw one of the workers use an herbicide was around 15 years ago when he tried to apply roundup to an elm sapling stump.  I managed to stop him.  I also used to live near Lake George on a county road.  We had a drainage ditch in front too.  Sometimes it would flood out.  I don't know if you can stop the mowing.  Some engineers are more receptive than others.  By contrast, I blew a whistle on this county's engineer for creating a toxic dump in the wooded median of I-87 just north of exit 23.  He was forced to resign.  We planted locally found hardy flowers in the ditch.  Any extra herbs and plants we thought would make it were tossed in too.  On the border of the property we put a row of Autumn Olive and Caragana.  Caragana provides food for birds fixes N2 is attractive while Autumn Olive provides quick shade, and places for birds to hide and nest.  In front of that, on the state's side we put day lilys, and other flowers.  Keep in mind that the state "owns" 25 feet off the center line of the road.  Every few years they will come by with a gradall and scoop out the erosion debris and the sand they spread on the road in winter.  They would probably give you the dirt if you ask the crew foreman.  They like ice tea too, and many of them garden.  They also know all the nooks and crannies of the county and can tell you things like where all the springs are and any old abandoned farms where plant treasures can be found.  So don't put anything in that ditch you can not part with.  The crews also cut down leaners, any tree they determine to be a threat to traffic. They will give you the chips if you want them, or they will even buck the trees up into stove lengths if you want.  Chips to me equals mushrooms to eat.  .I don't know how long the salt stays in the dirt, probably not long as it dissolves in precipitation and run off