corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's information about Galatia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Mark Goodacre <goodacre AT gmail.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's information about Galatia
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:27:01 +0000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:56:47 -0800, Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca> wrote:

> How had Paul got his information about the situation in Galatia at the time
> when he wrote Galatians? Was the letter written in response to:
> a) a verbal report from a Galatian envoy
> b) a verbal report from an associate of Paul
> c) a verbal report from one of the infiltrators
> d) a second hand verbal report, e.g. the infiltrators informed the apostles,
> who informed Paul.
> d) a letter or letters sent to Paul
> e) a letter or letters sent to the Jerusalem apostles and read by Paul?
>
> I have not read much discussion of this issue. Has a study been done?

I'd be interested too to hear what has been said on this. J. Louis
Martyn has a nice passage in his great commentary on Galatians taking
the news bearers as "Paul's catechetical instructors" from Galatia,
e.g. he speaks of "the depth of Paul's consternation and anger on the
day when – extremely busy in the early part of his work in Macedonia
and Achaia – he looked up to see the sad faces of his Galatian
catechetical instructors" (19).

Mark
--
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology and Religion

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com