corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's information about Galatia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk, corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's information about Galatia
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:57:58 -0500

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:27:01 +0000 Mark Goodacre <goodacre AT gmail.com>
writes:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:56:47 -0800, Richard Fellows
> <rfellows AT shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > How had Paul got his information about the situation in Galatia at
> the time
> > when he wrote Galatians? Was the letter written in response to:
> > a) a verbal report from a Galatian envoy
> > b) a verbal report from an associate of Paul
> > c) a verbal report from one of the infiltrators
> > d) a second hand verbal report, e.g. the infiltrators informed the
> apostles,
> > who informed Paul.
> > d) a letter or letters sent to Paul
> > e) a letter or letters sent to the Jerusalem apostles and read by
> Paul?
> >
> > I have not read much discussion of this issue. Has a study been
> done?
>
> I'd be interested too to hear what has been said on this. J. Louis
> Martyn has a nice passage in his great commentary on Galatians
> taking
> the news bearers as "Paul's catechetical instructors" from Galatia,
> e.g. he speaks of "the depth of Paul's consternation and anger on
> the
> day when � extremely busy in the early part of his work in
> Macedonia
> and Achaia � he looked up to see the sad faces of his Galatian
> catechetical instructors" (19).
>
> Mark
> --
> Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
> Dept of Theology and Religion
> University of Birmingham
> Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
> Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376
>
> http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
> http://NTGateway.com

That reminds me of an old TV program that Walter Cronkite hosted on
Sunday afternoon called "You are there." It would look at some famous
occurence of many years ago by reenacting it. As Cronkite put it "All
things are as they were then except you are there." Well, needless to
say (but I will nevertheless) I don't know how they came up with the
conversations if they were supposedly "as they were then." I can
specifically recall one episode dealing with the death of Socrates. Of
course, there was Plato to rely on though I think that was largely a work
of Plato's imagination as well. On the other hand, maybe Cronkite and
Martyn have crystal balls that function better than mine. Anyone know of
a good crystal ball repair shop?

george
gfsomsel