corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Protestant Justification vs OT and Romans

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Protestant Justification vs OT and Romans
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:42:53 -0500

Tim Gallant wrote:

John and Jim,

No time to respond in detail. Let me just say this:

(1) Paul thinks eschatologically, which means that he doesn't reinvent everything, but it also means dramatic newness. We should not expect that he completely redefines the tzedekah/dikaiosune terminology.

tzedekah means righteousness- rightness- not "justification".

Now: In that context, what is "justification"? Justification is when God relieves His people from their misery and says that the sins which have hung over them collectively are forgiven ("comfort, comfort My people....").

What support do you have for this interpretative move? How do you equate "justification" with "comfort"? What is your justification for such an understanding?

(4) Because Paul has a representative view of Messiah,

What's that mean?

he insists that Jesus has been raised "because of" our justification (Rom 4.25).

Huh? Jesus was raised "because of" our "justifiaction? I thought it was "for". Where does Paul say Jesus was raised because we are justified?

That means that the emancipation, the triumph in the great battle of cosmic justice (for that is what Isaiah is about)

Oh not hardly. Isaiah is about? well, it depends on which passage you are talking about. The blanket claim that Isaiah is "about" cosmic justice is a gross generalization without substance.

Finally, I'm still wondering after the Hebrew word which you would translate "justification". I know it can't be tzedekah.

Best,

Jim

--
Jim West