corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Lee Dahn <lee_dahn AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:05:09 -0800 (PST)

The two references cited so far with reference to Paul's view of the law (Rom.10.4; 1Cor.9.20,21) are found in letters addressed to and dealing with Gentiles.  I wonder to what degree Paul thought of himself as having "become like you [Gentiles]" (e.g., 1Cor9.21; Gal4.12).  This might explain why he doesn't see the need to follow this sort of laws, or what someone has termed "ceremonial" laws.  (I myself do not see a splitting of the law into types: ceremonial, moral, judicial.)  I do not find Paul calling for Jews to abandon the law at all.  In fact, there are explicit calls for the exact opposite (e.g., 1Cor7.17-224).  So, I don't see Paul doing away with the law entirely; rather, he seems to be saying that Gentiles are legit without having to follow the law, while seldom (I would say never) addressing the issue as regards Jews.

Lee