corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:52:52 -0500

At 11:47 AM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
Jim, I think Paul recognized that the Mosaic law came
to an end or was rendered inoperative with Christ
(Rom.10:4). Thus I don't think Paul saw the Mosaic law
as binding on the Christian any longer. Paul saw
himself as not being under the law, "though I myself am
not under the law" (1 Cor.9:20), but that he was under
a new law, the "law of Christ" (1 Cor.9:21)which I take
to mean the new covenant law.

When Paul speaks of "not being under law" Isn't it the case that he is talking about the ceremonial law? Or would Paul also have seen himself as outside [ potentially even 'above' ] the moral law too?

Thanks

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog