corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: nanosmd AT comcast.net
  • To: M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:41:36 +0000

Mark Goodacre writes:
> But in his attempt to articulate victory, does not Paul inadvertently
> let us know that in one crucial area there was no victory? i.e. in
> 2.1 he makes clear that he went up with Barnabas and Titus but in 2.9
> the pillars give only him and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship.
> Clearly it would have aided his case if he could have added Titus
> here but presumably he cannot.

Mark,
Good question, but I don't think this is implied. After all, Paul writes that
Titus's coming along to Jerusalem with Barnabas and himself was incidental
("taking along Titus also"), even if his presence became the symbolic point
around which the matters he now relates in this narrative unit turn. So it
seems (to me) that it is among the leaders of this coalition that right hands
were exchanged, not everyone (such as Titus). (What Paul can or cannot
write, I try to avoid making decisions about.)

The rhetorical point for the Galatian addressees seems to me to be that all
of the (Jewish) leaders of this (Jewish) coalition agree on this (Jewish
group's) policy of including non-Jews (such as Titus) apart from proselyte
conversion, regardless of the fact that this is the only(?) Jewish group with
such a policy, and thus one that holds a minority position within Jewish
communal space, for which it suffers marginalization. Thus, so do the
non-Jewish members when they join this group (these groups).

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.