corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dieter Mitternacht" <teol-dmi AT cassandra.net.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:04:36 +0100

Dieter:
> > In other words, Titus could have been circumcised for other reasons than
> > pressure from the pseudadelfoi and Paul's point that he did not give in
> > the pressure from the pseudadelfoi or be compelled to circumcise his
Greek
> > fellow worker would still be valid.

Mark:
> I agree that we must remain open to such "other reasons," but it
> requires a decision not to take Paul's language to mean that Titus
> was not circumcised during this journey to Jerusalem? Is that what you are
> suggesting? If so, how so?

Mark,
It requires that we accept that we do not know and are filling in gaps
either way.
I think Stephen's point about closeness to Washington DC should not be
neglected either, however, if you remember. The observation that "were not
compelled" seems somewhat redundent if Titus actually was circumcised is
important, I think.

Also the fact that the lack of clarity in terms of "victory" as you call it
occurs three times, may indicate that while readers may look for victory
Paul had a different concern.

This reasoning of mine, as you know, is supported, of course, by the fact
that I do not think that issue of Galatians is circumcision: yes or no?!,
but circumcision: for what purpose? Are the Galatian Gentile Christ
believers wishing for circumcision, because the suffering that surgery
entails is less painful than the ostracised situation they are in. And is
Paul interpreting such a wish to be a denial of "Christ portrayed before
your eyes as crucified" (3:1)?

Circumcision of Gentiles in Galatia (a city environment like Corinth may
trigger quite different reactions) had become a focal point not in and of
itself, but because it entailed (in Paul's view) a lack of Christlikeness in
terms of cruciformity.

Dieter