corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Timothy/Titus and circumcision
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:21:04 -0000

On 8 Jan 2004 at 15:59, nanosmd AT comcast.net wrote:

> By the way, Paul did mention
> the victory of this coalition's leaders in Jer: "we did not give in
> for a moment," where the issue is between this coalition and those not
> from it (in my view, the "inspectors" are not Christ-believers). So in
> Jer. and on the matter of Titus I do think that victory (conformity
> with Paul's view) was articulated.

But in his attempt to articulate victory, does not Paul inadvertently
let us know that in one crucial area there was no victory? i.e. in
2.1 he makes clear that he went up with Barnabas and Titus but in 2.9
the pillars give only him and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship.
Clearly it would have aided his case if he could have added Titus
here but presumably he cannot.

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
Dept of Theology
University of Birmingham
Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
http://NTGateway.com