corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Questions for Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Questions for Paul
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:14:23 -0600

Jim West wrote:

> At 02:00 PM 1/3/04 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >I think I've been misunderstood. The Paul I had in mind as available for
> >questioning is one like Achilles or Agamemnon in the Odyssey -- that is to
> >say,
> >one totally unaware of events that have transpired after his demise or in
> >his
> >name. The Paul I have in mind is one who is days away from his death at the
> >hands of Nero's executioner. So he would not be able to answer questions
> >#s
> >3-5 and he would find question #2 far too vague. I suspect, too, he'd ask
> >regarding your question # 1 what you meant by "pastoral" things.
> >

> Sorry- I was taking your statement:
> c) he had agreed to answer anything about himself, his career, his
> beliefs, and his writings about which we might be inclined to inquire,.
>
> at face value.

OK. But since I had also contextualized that statement with my notation that
the
Paul who could be addressed was the Paul alive in the mid 60's CE (and
therefore not
a Paul who could possibly know anything about what you ask in your questions
2-5),
the "face value" of the statement you quote was not what you took it to be.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)