corpus-paul - Re: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:54:13 EDT

corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu writes:

> Verse 6 reads in its entirety...
> " 6 And from those who were reputed to be something *(what they were
> makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)* --those, I say,
> who were of repute added nothing to me.(RSV)
>
> David, it is interesting that you seemed to have snipped the portion
> reading, "what they were makes no difference to me", which doesn't
> paint the picture of a Paul saying "Guys, am I doing this right?" -
> rather this is a Paul that seems to be saying that he really doesn't
> give a damn what those who are "pillars" before him think.
> --
> Steve Black
> Vancouver School of Theology
> Vancouver, BC

True, but then in v.3 we find that Titus was not 'obliged' to be
circumcised, and in v.10 the pillars 'insist' that Paul and his people should
remember the poor. It sounds as though the Pillars are in a position of
authority, which Paul has to accept, but he hates doing so, hence his
sarcastic comment in v.6. So perhaps he needs their backing for his mission,
and goes to Jerusalem to obtain it. He then finds there are tensions between
them, and they may have said something like 'Go to the Gentiles, then, but
leave us and the Jews alone'. Peter then turns up in Antioch assuming that
Jerusalem practice, whatever it is, is adhered to there, and suddenly finds
that Paul has assumed an unexpected authority, and insists that a new
practice involving a greate degree of table fellowship for Gentile believers
be adhered to. It certainly doesn't sound like Luke's civilised conference,
but this need not be historical; if he's trying to portray the Jesus movement
as acceptable, he has a clear incentive for covering up the tensions Paul
bears witness to.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
RSBrenchley AT aol.com