corpus-paul - RE: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:51:14 -0700

Loren wrote

That Paul went to Jerusalem "in order to be sure that
he wasn't running in vain" (Gal 2:2) should put to
rest notions that he didn't care what the pillars
thought about the matter. Gal 2:6 -- "From those who
were supposed to be acknowledged leaders (what they
actualy were makes no difference to me; God shows no
partiality") -- is, I believe, part of the face-saving
rhetoric which runs through Gal 2:1-10.

You make a good point here, Loren.

It seems that perhaps Paul was both arrogant and insecure. This twinning of traits is not as strange as may at first appear, and in fact might be connected.

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

---

Do you know that Shakespeare's play's weren't actually written by Shakespeare?
No, they were written by someone else with the same name at about the same time..