corpus-paul - RE: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:56:37 -0700

Sorry Eric, but I don't read Gal 2 as describing a council meeting at all:

[snip]But from those who were influential ...
those influential leaders added nothing to my message. On the contrary,
when they saw that I was entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised
just as Peter was to the circumcised ...[snip] (Gal 2:6-9)

To me this reads rather like: "I'm new to this, and I wanted to check
with you guys that what I have been doing is OK", to which the reply is:
"That's fine by us. You go to the Gentiles and we'll go to the
circumcised."

Verse 6 reads in its entirety...
" 6 And from those who were reputed to be something *(what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)* --those, I say, who were of repute added nothing to me.(RSV)

David, it is interesting that you seemed to have snipped the portion reading, "what they were makes no difference to me", which doesn't paint the picture of a Paul saying "Guys, am I doing this right?" - rather this is a Paul that seems to be saying that he really doesn't give a damn what those who are "pillars" before him think.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

---

Do you know that Shakespeare's play's weren't actually written by Shakespeare?
No, they were written by someone else with the same name at about the same time..