corpus-paul - RE: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 02:28:28 -0400

Vince Edris asks:

>>In a posting a few days ago I wrote about dating the Jerusalem conference
nd was wondering if anyone could offer me some help. My question is: one
article that I read states that the Jerusalem conference must have been held
before 44 since James and John, who were martyred by Herod who died in 44,
were present. What is the validity of this statement? It can't be that cut
and dry since most people date the conference later.<<

It was James, son of Zebedee and brother of John, who was killed by "Herod
the King" according to Acts 12:2, and this is often dated between 41-44 CE,
assuming that Herod Agrippa I is that king.

Whether this was the same James Paul meets with depends on which James the
author of Gal 1:18-19a meant when he said "Then after three years I went up
to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and remained with him fifteen days. But I saw
none of the other apostles except James ... ."

It will also make a difference whether this trip to Jerusalem is the same as
that mentioned in Acts 9:26-28: "And when he had come to Jerusalem he
attempted to join the disciples; and they were all afraid of him, for they
did not believe that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him, and brought
him to the apostles, and declared to them how on the road he had seen the
Lord, who spoke to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the
name of Jesus. So he went in and out among them at Jerusalem."

Beware, there are serious discrepancies between the accounts of Paul (Gal &
2 Cor) and those of the author of Acts, not to mention problems with just
about any attempt to reconcile them chronologically.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA