corpus-paul - Re: Paul a Pharisee?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul a Pharisee?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 05:56:27 -0800

Hyam Maccoby
In the case of Jesus, his method of healing did not involve medicines,
so was permitted by both Torah and rabbinic law (if indeed the rabbinic
bye-law existed in his time). Faith-healing on the Sabbath is permitted in
all circumstances.
The above explanation of Shabbath 14:2-4 is found in all the Jewish
commentaries on the Mishnah.

With best wishes,

Forgive me as I jump midstream into this thread with a question (that may already have been addressed earlier in this thread).

I believe it likely that the conflicts recorded in the gospels between the Pharisees and Jesus re healing on the Sabbath probably reflect a later debate between church & synagogue, and do not have a basis in the life of Jesus. My question is where did this particular issue come from if, as you say, there is clearly no reason for it in reality. Is it a question of "creative ignorance" on the part of the early Christian tradition as they sought to "demonize" their opponents?

[An imaginative reconstruction (without hope of verification) might be that some religious leader during the ministry of Jesus "grumbled" about healing on the Sabbath, and this rather minor incident was remembered, and in its retelling grew into a series of [rather unlikely] stories as we now have them.]
--
Steve Black
Vancouver, BC