corpus-paul - Re: Paul a Pharisee?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul a Pharisee?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 05:01:41 EDT

Hyam writes:

> The simplest
> explanation of Pharisee support for Peter is that conflict between Jesus
and
> the Pharisees (whether Hillelite or Shammaite) was fictitious, and was
> introduced into the Gospels in order to transfer blame for Jesus'
> crucifixion from the Romans to the Jews.

I tend to agree that it's fictitious, but I'm not sure about the idea
that it was done to blame the Jews for the Crucifixion. Jesus was supposedly
condemned by the High Priest, a Sadducee, and according to Josephus his
brother James the Just was executed by the Sadducees. There's no need for
Pharisee involvement in this. Could it be rather a case of hostility
developing between the Pharisees and the EC, and being read back into the
time of Jesus?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham, UK.