corpus-paul - Re: Sunday

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Sunday
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:19:3

On 04/10/00, ""Sakari Häkkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>" wrote:

>>Also John 20,19-28 implies that Sunday was the day of regular meetings of
Christians.<<

But doesn't this require that we assume that the account of the disciples
being assembled on the first day of the week behind closed doors is some
sort of anachronism reflecting the practice of the church of which the
author of John was a member?

After all, this is simply the day after a Sabbath which fell immediately
after the day of Jesus' execution. It is the next day in progression in the
story being related. If specifying the day of the week were an unexpected
detail, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. The meeting behind closed
doors, though, is not unexpected considering their leader was just
portrayed as having been executed in short order. Under the circumstances,
I would not be openly walking about on the streets either. <g>

I would think that meeting on the first day of the week developed from this
passage rather than this passage being a reflection of later practice.

RSV John 20:19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the
doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came
and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA