corpus-paul - Re: Sunday

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sunday
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:32:01 +0300

> On 04/10/00, ""Sakari Häkkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>"
wrote:

> >>Also John 20,19-28 implies that Sunday was the day of
regular meetings of
> Christians.<<

to which Dave Hindley responded:

> But doesn't this require that we assume that the account
of the disciples
> being assembled on the first day of the week behind closed
doors is some
> sort of anachronism reflecting the practice of the church
of which the
> author of John was a member?
>
> After all, this is simply the day after a Sabbath which
fell immediately
> after the day of Jesus' execution. It is the next day in
progression in the
> story being related. If specifying the day of the week
were an unexpected
> detail, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. The
meeting behind closed
> doors, though, is not unexpected considering their leader
was just
> portrayed as having been executed in short order. Under
the circumstances,
> I would not be openly walking about on the streets either.
<g>

> I would think that meeting on the first day of the week
developed from this
> passage rather than this passage being a reflection of
later practice.

> RSV John 20:19 On the evening of that day, the first day
of the week, the
> doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the
Jews, Jesus came
> and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with
you."

You should notice also verse John 20:26. Again the disciples
had a meeting on Sunday. I surmise that there are a lot of
implications to the meetings and liturgy of the Johannine
church in the Gospel. The passage in question is one of them
reflecting the theology of the author who wanted to point
out that the risen Lord is present when his followers meet
on Sunday.

This discussion is quite far from Pauline studies, isn't it?
Is C-P the right list to continue?

best wishes

Sakari

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD