corpus-paul - Re: mitzvot in Galatians?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mitzvot in Galatians?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 22:45:45 -0400

> From: Robert Brenchley
>
> Lizbeth Fried writes:
>
> >Prior to the destruction, the Jew understood God to require Temple
> sacrifice.
>
> Many Jews undoubtedly did, but the sectarian documents of the Dead Sea
> Scrolls, such as the Manual of Discipline (sorry, I don't have the
> reference to hand), replace Temple sacrifice by the 'offering of
> the lips'
> (prayer), and works of the Law. This was a community or
> communities founded
> by dissident priests who rejected the Temple as corrupt, and thus
> would be
> unlikely, to say the least, to advocate sacrifice there.
The Dead Sea Scroll community did reject the temple and its
priesthood. They did not reject sacrifice per se.
The temple scroll indicates the communities high regard for
the temple and the sacrificial system.

It is true that in general synagogues were on the ascendancy.
I don't know the implications of that. If the synagogue
was viewed as a replacement for or an addition to the
temple.
It is hard for me to imagine how a Jew who respected the Torah
could deny the sacrificial system. The torah *is* the
sacrificial system.

Liz