corpus-paul - Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:9:23

On 10/07/99, "Zeba Crook <zcrook AT chass.utoronto.ca>" wrote:
> On the issue of whether any of Paul's letters were "heavily redacted"
> after his death, see David Trobish's short English study *Paul's Letter
> Collection* (1994).

Zeb,

An online article, actually an except from Trobisch's book _Earliest Extant
Collections of Paul's Letters_ (quoted from memory, so excuse a
misstatement of the title), exists at:

http://www.religion-online.org/cgi-bin/relsearchd.dll?action=showitem&id=15

In short, I came away with the impression that Trobisch did not believe
that the epistles were circulating independently prior to publication as a
corpus. This is based on an analysis of the titles and how they were
grouped in various mss.

To me, that leaves open the possibility that they were published as a
corpus in redacted form, after Paul's time.

However, I was challenged on this point by someone on TC-list. From what
the TC list member said, Trobisch proposes that Paul himself published his
epistles and has nothing to say one way or the other regarding whether they
circulated independently.

However, from reading the URL above, it seemed to me that a lack of
evidence for independently circulating epistles or competing groupings was
instrumental in forming Trobisch's position that the NT Pauline corpus was
the only edition of Paul's letters circulating.

What do others think?

Dave Hindley