corpus-paul - Re: Gal 3:10-13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Gal 3:10-13
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:9:59

Dear Mark,
thanks for taking time to respond to my request.
Here are my comments and further inquiries.

and inOn 10/11/99, ""Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>" wrote:
> --============_-1272464500==_ma============
> >
> This puts the passage in its relative place; one of several ways Paul
> tries to explain by various midrashim the ironic rebuke of 3:1-5 over
> the course of 3:6--4:7. If they are children of Abraham already as
> "proven" by the receipt of the Spirit,

>why would they think they need
> to become proselytes, children of Jacob/Moses in order to gain this
> identity?

It seems that you take hOSOI EX ERGWN NOMOU EISIN (3.10) to mean the Jewish
people, the children of Jacob/Moses, as well as those who want to become
proselytes.
hOSOI EX ERGWN NOMOU EISIN defines what this identity they wanted to obtain
is, right? Then, 3.10 seems to imply that the Jewish people are under
curse!
????

>As wonderful as it is for the Jewish people, and thus
> desirable for the Christ-believing gentile, Paul asserts here that it
> has a downside risk that they, as gentiles, need not share.

Is this downside risk that they are under curse (hUPO KATARAN EISIN)
(3.10)?
If so, why is it so? In particular, how do you take the quotation from Deut
(3.10b)?

They have