corpus-paul - Re: Chronology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Chronology of Paul
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 06:51:00 -0700

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:03:55 -0700 "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com> writes:
>John Dickson wrote:
>

>> ...Thus the previous comment
>> of Robert Schacht ("Galatians 2:1-10 also implies James & John, sons
>of
>> Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the John in verse 9 as John bar
>> Zebedee.") was incorrect.
>>

>...However, I must agree with Bob Schacht on the identification of James

>in Gal
>2.9 as the son of Zebedee rather than the brother of Jesus. The
>"Pillar"
>title is clearly more deserved by James Zebedee on the strength of Mk
>3.17,
>and especially Mk 5.37. Also Mk 9.2, Mk 10.35, Mk 13.3, Mk 14.33. Lk
>8.51
>and I could go on and on....

I am distressed that views are being attributed to me which are not mine.
In the correspondence above, as any careful reader of my original post
would note, I was summarizing the views of Hanz Dieter Betz. The views
attributed above to me are in fact my summary of Betz's analysis of the
evidence. A careful reader would note that I posted Betz's analysis, not
to endorse it, but to ask if it made sense. From the responses, I would
not endorse his analysis myself.

Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University