corpus-paul - Chronology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Chronology of Paul
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:03:12 -0700

Hanz Dieter Betz, in his article on Paul for the Anchor Bible Dictionary,
constructs a surprising (to me) chronology of Paul's work.

In trying to date the apostolic conference described in Galatians 2:1-10,
he notes that it presumes that Peter is still in Jerusalem, thus putting
it before his departure as reported in Acts 12:17. Galatians 2:1-10 also
implies James & John, sons of Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the
John in verse 9 as John bar Zebedee. If his brother James was
assassinated by Herod Agrippa I as described in Acts 12:2, etc., then
the Galatians 2 apostolic conference must have happened before the death
of Herod Agrippa in 44 C.E.

Given that datum, we then have the testimony in Gal. 1:18 - 2:1 that the
conference occurred 14+3 years after his conversion, which would put his
conversion at about 28 C.E. (citing Vielhauer 1975)! Since most
estimates of Jesus' crucifixion place it about 33 C.E., something is
obviously wrong here. I am surprised that this piece survived the
editorial process at ABD, but since it did, Betz's reconstruction must
not be totally goofball.

What are the best dates for
1. Jesus' crucifixion
2. Paul's conversion
3. The first(?) "apostolic conference" described in Gal. 1:18 with Peter
and James "the Lord's brother"
4. The second(?) apostolic conference described in Gal. 2:1-10?

Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ