corpus-paul - Re: Chronology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus Paulinum" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chronology of Paul
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:03:55 -0700

John Dickson wrote:

> However, I was refering to the James spoken of in Gal 2:9 not Acts 12:2.
> Clearly, the later is the Zebedee. My point was that Gal 2:9 implies not
the
> presence of Zebedee but of 'the Lord's brother'. Thus the previous comment
> of Robert Schacht ("Galatians 2:1-10 also implies James & John, sons of
> Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the John in verse 9 as John bar
> Zebedee.") was incorrect.

Sorry I misunderstood!

However, I must agree with Bob Schacht on the identification of James in Gal
2.9 as the son of Zebedee rather than the brother of Jesus. The "Pillar"
title is clearly more deserved by James Zebedee on the strength of Mk 3.17,
and especially Mk 5.37. Also Mk 9.2, Mk 10.35, Mk 13.3, Mk 14.33. Lk 8.51
and I could go on and on.

Moreover, Cephas and the Zebedee brothers John and James, were fishing
partners, cohabiting in Capernaum and "inseparable" throughout the gospels'
special events. These are the 3 pillars. They are already well established
as such in the Synoptics -- and hence in Galatians 2 as well.

Even though Paul puts the name of Cephas between the 2 brothers, I think
there is virtually no chance that Jesus' brother would ascend to pillar
status in lieu of Mr. Zebedee.

Best regards,

Jon