corpus-paul - RE:(Roy, Mark, Liz,...) Gal 2:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: RE:(Roy, Mark, Liz,...) Gal 2:16
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 23:52:53

Dear members,
I am sorry that my previous message to this thread was sent without
completed by mistake. Here is the message.

[Moon]
(a) Doesn't Gal 2:16
> > ("We Jews also believed in Christ Jesus, in order to
> > be justified by faith in Christ and not by the "works of the law")
> >indicate that Paul and Peter deserted Judaism which taught
> >that one is righteoused by doing the "works of the law", the identity
> >markers
> >of being Jew?
>
> Mark Nanos replies:
> I do not see desertion from Judaism here. The question is how gentiles are
> to be included among the righteous ones, a status reserved for Israelites
> in the present age by the covenant offered by God. The traditional way was
> by proselyte conversion.

How do you interprete Paul's statement quoted above? The statement seems
imply that Paul and Peter, Jews, gave up the way of "the works of the
law".
"We also (Paul and Peter, Jews)....".

[Moon]
> >(b) Doesn't Rom 9:31-32
> > (Israel pursuing the law of righteousness has not reached the law. Why?
> > Because they did so not from faith but AS IF from works [of the law].)
> >indicate that Paul thought the way of Judaism failed to attain its own
> >goal
> > because they thought they would achieve the goal by keeping their
> >identity markers, i.e. the works of the law?
>
> Mark Nanos again:
> No, at least as I read this (to which I have replied in an earlier
> discussion with you). The stumbling to which Paul refers is whether
> gentiles are accepted on the terms of this group, that is, by faith in
> Christ without becoming Israelites.

[Moon]

Again, how do you interpret Paul's statement quoted above? "They (Jews)
has not attain the law because they did not do so not from faith but AS IF
from works [of the law]". Dunn thinks that the "AS IF" implies some
illusion
which Jews had have.

Cheers!
Moon-Ryul Jung