corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "kosala@md2" <kosala AT md2.vsnl.net.in>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 22:53:05 +0530

It is very interesting to read and follow the discussion on the topic of
Paul as Good and Nice Guy. However I noticed that one very important aspect
was left out, which has also a role to play. It is the personal character
which is expected of every believer: a new life in Christ. The Scripture
does not allow any believer to find a middle path. Jesus taught that a
believer has to say either YES or NO. No one can serve two masters. Or that
saying where he teaches that nobody is allowed to be a hinderance to
another's faith life, and it is horrible saying where Jesus desires that
such a person should better hang a Millstone (whose giant structure and its
weight is known to every scholar and those who have visited Israel !) and
be pushed into the sea and the result is clear.(Lk.17,2 par.)

What Paul was teaching was only a repeatation of Jesus' teaching but in his
own context. Yet the message reamains the same and unchanged. Either- Or.
there is no middle path. You have to believe or not. You have to either nice
or not nice. One cannot be nice to everyone. By being nice to everyone means
we are not true to ourselves.

I will give the blatant example from India. The election for the position of
a Bishop or a big Position in a Church (expecially the mainline churches) is
nothing but POLITIC. There is millions of Rupees that are spent,
though no one knows who spends:either the Candidate or the people behind
him/her. And at the time of the retirement these persons are seen to be
Multimillionaires. How does it happen? The context shows that the Pastors
and Evangelists who work in these Churches have to live with great
difficulties with their salaries.
Is it "miracles" from God? NO! they were nice guys. And their riches are its
"REWARDS".

Hence I would say that those who do not love Paul or misunderstand him are
those who have not understood Jesus. I agree that Paul has brought a lot of
changes in the Faith-life of the congregations in the early churches, which
have still their influences. Yet the discussion about him as "nice" or "not
nice" does not suit the time and the context. I have nothing against any
topic or discussion, yet we have to be "mature" in the faith to see and
understand the matter scholarly.

Dr.Kishore Kosala
India