corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John C. Hurd" <John.Hurd AT Squam.org>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 08:57:21 -0400

My first NT teacher, Charles Buck, once told me a story about an
occasion when he went for private tutoring to Henry Cadbury (it was the
war years). Cadbury was serving as director (?) of Friends World
Service (name?), a important Quaker relief organization. The topic was
Paul, but Cadbury had administration on his mind. He had application
forms for positions in the organization, and for the fun of it he and
Buck attempted to fill out an application in Paul's name. They had not
gone far when it became clear to them both that they could never hire
Paul. I imagine that there were questions like, "Do you respond well to
advice from superiors?" "Do you like to work as a team member?", etc.
It seems clear that one was either a member of Paul's mission team
or on his list of suspicious people. He was not an "organization man."
He must have been a difficult person to work with, not to mention live
with.
And, at the same time, an enormously creative and charismatic
genius!
Best wishes! -- John Hurd
:: John C. Hurd Internet: John.Hurd AT Squam.org
:: Professor Emeritus of New Testament
:: Trinity College in the University of Toronto