corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Maggie Hoop" <maggie.l.hoop AT vanderbilt.edu>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 11:47:52

<snip>

> The reason I am asking this question is that in the last few years I have
> met several people who plainly say that they do not like Paul. Some
> therefore stay out of Pauline studies. It is their modern opinion about him
> coulored by our modern context. Often these people are women who do not
> like the way Paul treats other people.

<snip>

I think that the main argument that women and Jews have against Paul is the
way that Paul has been used against them, not necessarily who Paul was or
what he did/said. When something is used as a tool of opression, one
either seeks to rehabilitate it or dismiss it. As a woman and a Jew, I
tend to vacilate between the two options. It is not a matter of how Paul
treats other people, it is a matter of how people (using Paul) treat other
people.

Maggie Hoop
(humble graduate student)
Vanderbilt University