corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie AT sagus.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 21:45:58 -0400

At 05:13 PM 4/4/99 -0600, Ronald Troxel wrote:
>John
>>In my opinion, little can be made of the EN EMOI in Gal 1:16 to advance the
>>argument of J. Hurd that Paul refers only to a "subjective experience" and
>>that he "disavows any flesh and blood resurrection body". 'To me' is a
>>perfectly appropriate English translation given that EN with the dative EMOI
>>may be used as little more than an emphasized version of EMOI on its own.
>
>Ron
>I agree that EN EMOI cannot be stretched to cover a subjective experience,
>since it is not language that Paul uses elsewhere for "second sight." And
>yet, to argue that EN with EMOI is "little more than an *emphasized*
>version of EMOI on its own" muddles the issue (what *sort* of emphasis
>would this be?). For examples of EN + dative as indirect object, see BGD
>p. 261 (4.a).

Section 4.a. of BAGD's discussion of EN is not limited to indirect objects;
in fact, section 4.a. lists examples where EN+Dative is equivalent to the
ordinary dative. That's not much different from saying that 'EN with EMOI
is "little more than an *emphasized* version of EMOI on its own"'. BAGD
lists Gal 1:16 in this category.

It includes some examples where there is no indirect object, eg:

1Cor 14:11 ESOMAI TWi LALOUNTI BARBAROS KAI hO LALWN *EN EMOI* BARBAROS

EIMI has a subject and a predicate; it does not have an object. So this is
not an indirect object, and it's a good example where EN with EMOI is
"little more than an *emphasized* version of EMOI on its own".

I'm not sure that EN EMOI has one fixed meaning. Consider the following:

Gal 1:16 APOKALUYAI TON hUION AUTOU *EN EMOI*
Gal 1:24 KAI EDOXAZEN *EN EMOI* TON QEON
2Cor 13:3 EPEI DOKIMHN ZHTEITE TOU *EN EMOI* LALOUNTOS CRISTOU, hOS EIS
hUMAS OUK ASQENEI ALLA DUNATEI *EN hUMIN*
Phil 1:29 TON AUTON AGWNA ECONTES, hOION EIDETE *EN EMOI* KAI NUN AKOUETE
*EN EMOI*
1Tim1:16 ALLA DIA TOUTO HLEHQHN, hINA *EN EMOI* PRWTWi ENDEIXHTAI CRISTOS
IHSOUS THN hAPASAN MAKROQUMIAN PROS hUPOTUPWSIN TWN MELLONTWN PISTEUEIN EP
AUTWi EIS ZWHN AIWNION

I agree with you, however, that as far as I can tell, "EN EMOI cannot be
stretched to cover a subjective experience," at least in Gal 1:16.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie AT mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://metalab.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://metalab.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons
B-Greek Home Page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek
B-Hebrew Home Page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew