corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ronald Troxel <rltroxel AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:21:30 -0500

>> >Ron
>> >I agree that EN EMOI cannot be stretched to cover a subjective experience,
>> >since it is not language that Paul uses elsewhere for "second sight."
>
>I'm not sure what this means, but "second sight," whatever it is, does
>not encompass the whole of subjective experience.

"Second sight" is a synonym for "vision" (sometimes used in scholarship
about visionary experiences of prophets in the Hebrew Bible), which is what
we're dealing with in Gal 1:16, whatever other subjective experiences Paul
may have had.

>In these passages Paul speaks of the revealing of the Son in him,
>Christ living in him, Christ speaking in him. (Substitute your
>preferrred prepositions ad lib.) In each case surely some subjective
>experience is presupposed. How the revelation of God's Son was not
>a subjective experience is beyond me. >
>3. I await your telling me....

Do you have a response to my discussion of Gal 2:20 (post of 4/4) where I
answer this question? To echo Robert Kraft, discussing the particulars of
specific texts would put us on a firmer footing.

Ron

Ronald L. Troxel, Ph.D.
Department of Hebrew and Semitic Studies
1340 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706